ANNEX: The Letters of the Great Kings

EA009.jpg

Original letter

“REGARDING ASSYRIAN ENVOYS”

Sent by Burnaburiash, king of Babylon, to Akhenaten, king of Egypt

Say to Akhenaten, the king of Egypt, on behalf of Burnaburiash, the king of Babylon, your brother: I am well. May the well-being reign over you, your house, your women, your children, your land, your great ones, your horses, your chariots.

When my father and your father had dealings in good friendship, they sent each other beautiful presents, and nothing they refused. Now, my brother has sent me only two mina of gold. But this is a very small amount: send, then, as much as your father did! And if you have little (gold), send half of what your father sent! Why have you sent me only two mina of gold? My work in the houses of the Gods is abundant, and now I have begun an undertaking: Send much gold! And you, whatever do you need from my land, write and it will be sent to you.

At the time of Kurigalzu, my father, the Canaanites went to him in the following terms: the borders of the country [...] we want to pass to the other side, and join you. My father gave them the following answer: Forget the idea of dealing with me! I will not declare myself against my brother, the king of Egypt, nor will I treat with someone else! Should I not rather plunder you? He is my ally. My father committed no acts against your father.

Now [with respect to this]: The Assyrians, vassals of mine, I have not sent to you, as they claim. Why have they been received in your land? If I am dear to you, do not let them conclude any business. May they return here with empty hands! As a gift, I send you three mina of beautiful lapis lazuli and five teams of horses for five wooden chariots. 

EA015.jpg

Original Letter

“DIPLOMATIC OVERTURE FROM ASSYRIA”

Sent by Ashur-uballit I, king of Assyria, to Amenhotep III, king of Egypt

Say to the king of Egypt on behalf of Ashur-uballit, the king of Assyria, as follows: May it be well with you, your household, your country, your chariots, and your troops.

I have sent my envoy to you to visit you and your country. Until now, my predecessors have not sent word. Today, I have personally sent word to you. I have delivered one quality chariot, two horses and one date-stone of genuine lapis lazuli as your goodwill gift.

As for the envoy whom I sent to visit you, do not detain him. Let him visit, then let him depart. Let him see your hospitality and the hospitality of your country, then let him depart.

EA016.jpg

Original letter

“A GIFT SUCH AS THIS”

Sent by Ashur-uballit I, king of Assyria, to Akhenaten, king of Egypt

To Akhenaten, Great King, king of Egypt, my brother, speak: thus says Ashur-uballit, king of the land of Ashur, great king, your brother: For you, for your household and your country, may all be well.

When I saw your messengers, I was very joyous. Your messengers will indeed reside in hospitality in my presence.

As your greeting-gift I send you a beautiful royal chariot of my yoking, and two white horses also of my yoking, one chariot not yoked (to a team), and one genuine lapis lazuli seal.

Is it from a great king, a gift such as this? Gold is dust in your land - one gathers it up. Why should it linger before you? I intend to build a new palace. Send me gold enough for its decoration and its furnishing.

When my ancestor Ashur-nadin-ahhe wrote to the land of Egypt, they sent him twenty talents of gold. When the Hanigalbatean king wrote to your father, to the land of Egypt, he sent twenty talents of gold to him. Now, I am equal to the Hanigalbatean king, but to me you send only […] gold, and it does not suffice for the expense of my messengers' journey there and back.

If in good faith your intention is friendship, send me much gold. And here it is your house - write to me, so that what you desire may be taken to you. We are distant lands. Should our messengers go back and forth in such a way?

As to your messengers having been delayed in reaching you, the Suteans, their guides, were dead(?); until I wrote and they took for me the Suteans, the guides, I detained them. My messengers must not be delayed in reaching me.

Why are my messengers made to stand around in the open sun, so that they die of sunstroke? If there is benefit to the king in standing in the open sun, then let him stand there and die of sunstroke, and let it benefit the king. But if not, why should they die of sunstroke? The messengers whom we send to each other [...] they should sustain the messengers. They make them die of sunstroke!