Kadashman-Enlil's Desperation

EA004.jpg

Letter EA4: Refused marriage proposal

Kadashman-Enlil goes on to reject the pharaoh’s hesitance to send his daughter to Babylonia. He points out that Amenhotep could indeed send one of his daughters if he so pleased; “there appear to have been several exceptions to the principle embodied in Amenhotep’s rather cavalier of the Babylonian request” (Schulman 180). Though Kadashman-Enlil is certainly unhappy with this conclusion, he feels strongly that the pharaoh should have at least sent a woman, even if it wasn’t his daughter; “Someone’s grown daughters beautiful women must be available. Send me a beautiful woman as if she were your daughter” (EA 4).  This quote begins to suggest that the power dynamic is solidifying in this negotiation. Kadashman-Enlil’s desperation begins to set in, so much so that he is willing to settle for any woman, not even of royal blood, so long as she is beautiful. The concessions do not stop there, however. He even trades the legitimacy of his daughter’s presumptive offspring with Egyptian king for some animals that he reminds Amenhotep to send him; “Now you need not accept the offspring of my daughter whom I shall send you, but, send me any animals requested of you” (EA 4). Here he begins engaging in a sort of distributive bargaining after he realizes that he will not be receiving Amenhotep’s daughter.