Essay 2: Great Kings

This collection consists of three letters addressed to the king of Egypt, two from the king of Assyria, and one from the king of Babylon. The letters are part of the cache of clay tablets found at the site of ancient Akhetaten (modern el Amarna), the capital of the Egyptian kingdom during the reign of Akhenaten. At the time, the Near East was fully integrated into an international system that included the entire region. A number of large territorial states interacted with one another as equals and rivals. Only the Great Kings, the rulers of the large territorial states, regarded themselves as equals and addressed each other as “brothers”. The letters in this collection are from the time when Assyria succeeded Mitanni as the dominant power in northern Mesopotamia and sought to become one of the great states.

Regarding Assyrian envoys

Say to Akhenaten, the king of Egypt, on behalf of Burnaburiash, the king of Babylon, your brother: I am well. May the well-being reign over you, your house, your women, your children, your land, your great ones, your horses, your chariots.

Diplomatic overture from Assyria

Say to the king of Egypt on behalf of Ashur-uballit, the king of Assyria, as follows:

May it be well with you, your household, your country, your chariots, and your troops.

I have sent my envoy to you to visit you and your country....

A gift such as this

To Akhenaten, Great King, king of Egypt, my brother, speak: thus says Ashur-uballit, king of the land of Ashur, great king, your brother: For you, for your household and your country, may all be well.

When I saw your messengers, I was very...