Click here to begin.

1          May it be exceedingly well with Ashur, father of the gods, great lord, who dwells in Ehursaggalkurkurra, his temple!

2          May it be exceedingly well with the gods of destinies and the goddesses, who dwell in Ehursaggalkurkurra, their great temple!

3          May it be exceedingly well with our gods of destinies and the goddesses who dwell in the city of Ashur, their great temple!

4          May it be well with the city and its people, may it be well with the palace and the ones who dwell inside.

5          It is exceedingly well with Sargon, the high priest, the servant who fears your great divinity, and his camp.

6          In the month of Dumuzi (July), the one that makes firm the regulations of mankind, the month of the powerful, foremost son of Enlil, the overpowering one of the gods, Ninurta,

7          wherefore the lord of wisdom, Ninshiku wrote on a venerable tablet for the gathering of the army and setting the camp in order,

8         I set out from the city of Kalhu, the city of my kingship and I impetuously crossed the upper Zab in full flood.

9          On the third day, in order to muzzle the mouth of the arrogant, to shackle the legs of the adversary, I prostrated myself devoutly to Enlil and Nirilil.

10        I caused the armies of Shamash and Marduk to jump over like a ditch the lower Zab whose crossing is difficult.

11        I entered into the passes of the Kullar mountains, steep mountains of the Lullubeans which they call the land of Zamua.

12        In the district of the land Sumbi I inspected my army and checked the number of horses and chariots.

13        With the great encouragement of Ashur, Shamash, Nabu and Marduk, for the third time I arranged the march into the mountains.

14        Against the lands of Zikirtu and Andini I guided the (chariot) yoke of Nergal and Adad, whose standards precede me.

15        I passed between the land of Nikappa and the land of Upa, high mountains covered with impenetrable trees, whose interiors are labyrinthine and whose passes are frightful;

16        a shade is cast over their region as if it were a cedar grove and the one who goes on their paths cannot see the shining sun.

17        The River Puia, (in) the gully between them, I crossed as many as 26 times and my army in its might did not fear the flood water.

18        The mountain, Simirriu, the highest peak of the mountains which lunges up like the point of a spear, raising its head above the mountains, the dwelling of the mistress of the gods,

19        whose summit leans up to heaven, whose root reaches down in the midst of the underworld,

20        and (where) like the backbone of a fish, there is no going side by side, its ascent on all sides is difficult,

21        on whose sides gullies and mountain ravines are deeply cut and the act of looking at it is shrouded in terror,

22        unfit for the ascent of chariots or for horses to show their mettle, its access was too difficult for foot soldiers,

23        through the understanding and wide knowledge which Ea and the mistress of the gods decreed for me, they enabled me (lit. opened my knees) to destroy the land of my enemy.

24        I had my soldiers carry strong copper picks and they cut off the jagged parts of the steep mountain like limestone and they raised a path.

25        I took (my place) at the front of my army and I caused my chariots, cavalry, battle troops, the ones who accompany me, to fly over its loftiness like valiant eagles.

26        I made the corvee troops and scouts follow them. Camels and pack donkeys like mountain-bred goats leaped its height.

27        I caused the huge army of Ashur to rise up the laborious ascent safely and I organized my camp on that mountain.

28        Sinahulzi, Biruatti, barren mountains whose vegetation was leeks and the fragrant Sumlalu plant,

29        Turtan, Sinabir, Ahshuru, Shuia, seven mountains I crossed with difficulty,

30        (likewise) the river Rapaa, the river Aratta, rivers whose cascades I crossed in their floods as if they were irrigation ditches.

31        I descended against Surikash the border district of the regions of Karalli and Allabria.

32        Ullusunu, the Mannaean, because, year in and year out, I did not stop planning to avenge him, he heard of my expedition's coming,

33        and that one, together with his princes, elders, advisors, the seed of his father's house, the governors and followers, who govern his land,

34        with a joyous heart and a happy face, from the midst of his land he came to me quickly without hostages.

35        From Izirti, the city of his kingship, to Sinihini, a border fortress of his land, he came before me.

36        He brought before me his tribute: horses, broken to the yoke together with their harnesses, cattle and sheep, and he kissed my feet.

37        To Latashê, a fortress which is on the river of the land of Lâruete, a district of Allabria, I drew near.

38        The tribute of Bel-apal-iddina, the Allabrian,—horses, cattle and sheep, I received. Against Parsuash I went down.

39        The governors of the lands of Namri, Sangibuti, Bît-Abdadani, and of the land of the powerful Medes, heard of the approach of my expedition,

40        my devastation of their lands in a former year was still in their minds (lit., ears), and terror fell upon them.

41        Their heavy tribute they brought out of their lands and submitted to me in Parsuash.

42        From Taltâ of Ellipi, Uksatar, Durisi, Satareshu, chieftains of the river (country);

43        Anzî of Halhubarra, Paiaukka of Kilambate, Uzi of Mali,

44        Uakirtu of Nappi, Makirtu of Bît-Sakbat, Kitakki of Uriangi,

45        Mashdaiaukku of Kingaraku, Uzitar of Kantau, Paukka of Bît-Kabsi,

46        Humbê of Bît-Zualzash, Uzumanda of Kisilaha, Burburazu of Bît-Ishtar,

47        Bagbararna of Zakrute, Dari of Shaparda, Ushrâ of Kanzabakani,

48        Sharruti of Karzinû, Mashdakku of Andirpatianu, Akkussu of Usi—, Birtatu of Siburel,

49        Zardukku of Harzianu, Mashdakku of Aradpati, Satarpanu of Barikanu, Karakku of Urikaia,

50        —prancing horses, swift mules, (Bactrian) camels, native to their land, cattle and sheep, I received.

51        From Parsuash I descended, I drew close to Missi, a region of Mannea.

52        Ullusunu, having set his heart to do service, together with the people of his land, waited for my force in Sirdaku, his fortress.

53        Like my officials or the governors of Assyria, he piled up grain and wine for the provisions of my army.

54        He delivered his eldest son with peace presents to me and he set up his stele (before me) in order to make his kingship firm.

55        Large draft horses, cattle, sheep and goats I received from him as his tribute, and so that I might wreak vengeance (on his enemies), he prostrated himself.

56        To bar the feet of the land of Kakmui, the evil enemy, from inside his land, to repulse Ursa in open battle,

57        to turn the scattered Mannaeans to their place, to stand in might over his enemy, to do what he wants,

58        that man, together with his nobles, the governors of his land, entreated me, crawling before me on their four limbs like dogs.

59        I took pity on them, I paid attention to their prayers, I heard their words of entreaty and spoke to them truly!

60        Because of the surpassing greatness that Ashur and Marduk gave to me, causing my weapons to be great over all princes of the world,

61        I ordered for them the defeat of Urartu, to return their boundaries, to restore the distressed people of Mannea, and their heart was quieted.

62        Of Ullusunu, their lord, I spread an honored banquet table before him and exalted his throne above that of Iranzi, the father who engendered him.

63        Those people with the people of Assyria, I caused to sit down at a joyous table; before Ashur and the gods of their land, they blessed my majesty.

64        Zizi of Appatar, Zalaia of Kitpata, the city rulers of the region of Gizilbundi,

65        who live in faraway mountains, a distant place in the area of the Mannaeans and the Medes, blocking the way like a barricade

66        - the people who dwell in these cities trusted in their own strength, they knew no lord -

67        none of the kings who preceded me saw their dwellings, heard their name or received their tribute.

68        At the great command of Ashur, my lord, who gave me as a gift the subjugation of the princes of the mountains and the receipt of their presents,

69        they heard the approach of my force and fear of my radiance covered them. In the midst of their land terror afflicted them.

70        They sent their tribute: draft horses without number, cattle, sheep, and goats

71        from the cities Appatar and Kitpat. In Zirdiakka of the land of Mannea they brought it before me.

72        They prayed to me to spare their lives and kissed my feet so that their fortresses would not be destroyed,

73        and for the safety of their land, I appointed the officials over them. I place them in the hand of my officers and the governor of Parsuash.

74        From Zirdiakka, the fort of the land of Mannea, I departed.

75        Thirty bêru ('double-hours') between the land of the Manneans, Bît-Kabsi and the land of the powerful Medes, I made my impetuous way.

76        I drew near to Panzish, the strong fortress which lies over against the lands of Zikirtu and Andia, for protection,

77        -that no fugitive might escape, no enemy enter (lit., the foot of the enemy should be restrained), it was built over against these two districts.

78        I strengthened the fortification of that stronghold, and stored up therein food, oil, wine and war equipment.

79        From Panzish I departed, crossed the river Ishtar-aurâ, and drew near to Aukanê, a district of Zikirtu.

80        Metattati of Zikirtu, who had thrown off (Assur's) yoke, deserted Ullusunu, the king, their lord, neglected his service,

81        and who had put his trust in Ursâ, the Armenian, who like him(self) was without judgment, an ally who could not save himself:

82        he made the frightful ascent of Mount Uashdirikka, a steep mountain and saw the (on-)coming of my expedition from afar. His members (lit., flesh) became paralyzed.

83        He gathered together all the people of his land, took them up into the distant mountains, with great difficulty, and they were seen no more.

84        And in his eyes, not (even) Parda, his royal city, was precious. He abandoned the wealth of his palace and went forth in misery(?).

85        His horses and his fighters he turned loose, sending (them) to the aid and help of Ursâ, his ally.

86        His brave warriors who were stationed in the passes of Mount Uashdirikka, to guard (them), I slew

87        and Ishtaippa, Saktatush, Nanzu, Aukanê, Kâbani, Gurrusupa, Raksi,

88        Gimdakrikka, Barunakka, Ubabara, Sitera, Tashtami, Tesammia,

89        —twelve cities, strong and walled, together with 84 cities of their neighborhood,—all (of these) I captured.

90        I destroyed their walls, I set fire to the houses inside them, I destroyed them like a flood, I battered them into heaps of ruins.

91        From Aukanê I departed, (to) Uishdish, a district of the Mannean land, which Ursâ had seized, I drew near.

92        Before me Ursâ, the Armenian, who does not respect (lit., guard) the word of Assur and Marduk, who does not fear the curse of the lord of lords,

93        —a mountaineer, of murderous seed, who was without judgment, whose speech was evil, whose lips kept bawling indecencies,

94        who had no respect for the honored name of Shamash, supreme judge of the gods, and who was forever, without let-up, overstepping his bounds:

95        after (all) his earlier crimes (lit., sins), he committed the grievous (lit., great) offense of destroying this land and overwhelming its people.

96        On Mount Uaush, a great mountain, which (lifts) its summit into the region of the clouds, in the midst of the heavens,

97        where, since time's beginning, the seed of humankind had not passed, no . . . . had found (lit., seen) his way,

98        to the top of which no bird that wings its way across the heaven, had (ever) come to

99        a mountain peak which stands up like the blade of a dagger, and gullies and mountain precipices

100      on(?) its in the severe droughts(?) (of summer) and the bitter cold (of winter) destruction is let loose(?) their flash(es),

101      on which snow is heaped up day and night, and its are covered(?) with sleet and ice;

102      the body of him who passes along its side is while bums his flesh;

103      (here) he mustered his great host, together with his allies,

104      and assembled his (picked) fighters, strong in battle, the support of his host, he strengthened their courage,

105      (on) their prancing riding horses he mounted them and gave them (their) weapons.

106      Metatti of Zikirtu, who from days of old(?) had given him support,

107      who had [invited to his aid all of the kings of his neighborhood, of (these) mountains, and had received aid,

108      [trusted] in the masses of his many troops and [their] support, and he induced them to desert (the Assyrian cause).

109      The glory (and) might of his battle my power...

110      He (lit., his heart) hoped to fight a decisive battle with me and planned, without ceasing, the destruction of the army of Enlil and Assur.

111      In a defile of that mountain he drew up the battle line and sent (me) a messenger (telling) of (his) preparations for the approaching battle.

112      I, Sargon, king of the four regions (of the world), ruler (shepherd) of Assyria, guardian of the sarnni of Bel-Marduk, who carefully observes the law of Shamash,

113      of the stock (seed) of Assur, the city of learning, quick of wit, who waits reverently upon the word of the great gods, never violating their ordinances,

114      the rightful king, whose words are gracious, whose aversion (abomination) is falsehood, from whose mouth (words) bringing (lit., doing) evil and harm do not emanate;

115      most wise prince of the regions (of the earth), who was created in wisdom and understanding, who sustains (lit., holds in his hand) the worship (lit., fear) of the gods and goddesses,

116      to Assur, king of all the great gods, lord of the lands, creator of (prophetic) vision, king of the totality of the great gods, who consumes (or, perhaps, illumines) the regions (of earth),

117      the all-powerful lord of Assur, who in the fury of his great anger humbled the princes of the regions (of the world) and made the ignoble their equal(?);

118      the honored, the valiant, from whose net the evildoer does not escape, —the root of him who does not fear his curse (i.e., keep the oath) is torn up;

119      who, for him who does not fear his name, trusting in his own might, despising the greatness of his divinity, and boasting (lit., talking big),

120      metes out, in his anger, swift punishment in battle, shattering his arms and scattering to the wind his forces and equipment (lit., equipped forces);

121      but the one who causes to walk at his side him who observes the law of the gods, who trusts in the gracious justice of Shamash, and fears the godhead of Assur and Enlil,

122      who does not despise the weak, making him to stand in triumph (might) upon his foes and enemies:

123      because I had never yet come near Ursa, the Armenian, and the border of his wide land, nor poured out the blood of his warriors on the (battle)-field,

124      I lifted my hands, praying that I might bring about his defeat in battle, turn his insolent words against himself, and make him bear his sin.

125      Assur, my lord, heard my words of righteous (indignation), they pleased him and he inclined to hear (lit., turned toward) my just prayer. He granted my request.

126      He sent at my side his terrible weapons, which in their going forth from the rising to the setting sun (east to west) despoil the rebellious;

127      and the exhausted armies of Assur, who had come this long distance (lit., road) and were tired and weary,

128      who had crossed innumerable mighty mountains, whose ascent and descent were most difficult, —their appearance (mien) became changed.

129      I could not relieve their fatigue, nor give them water to quench their thirst, nor pitch my tent, nor strengthen the wall of the camp;

130      I could not send my warriors (ahead) nor gather together my equipment (or army), what was right and left could not be brought (turned) to my side, I could not watch the rear.

131      I was not afraid of his masses of troops, I despised his horses, I did not cast a glance at the multitude of his mail-clad(?) warriors.

132      With my single chariot and the horse(men) who go at my side, who never leave (me) either in a hostile or friendly region, the troop, the command of Sin-ahi-usur,

133      I plunged into his midst like a swift (lit., frightful) javelin, I defeated him, I turned back his advance;

134      I killed large numbers of his (troops), the bodies of his warriors I cut down like millet(?), filling the mountain valleys (with them).

135      I made their blood run down the ravines and precipices like a river, dyeing plain, countryside and highlands red like a royal robe(?).

136      His warriors, the mainstay of his army, bearers of bow and lance, I slaughtered about his feet like lambs, I cut off their heads.

137      His noblemen, counselors who stand before him, I shattered their arms in the battle; them and their horses I captured.

138      260 of his royal kin (lit., seed), (who were) his officers, governors and cavalry, I captured and broke down their resistance (lit., battle).

139      Him I shut up in his crowded camp and cut down (decimated) from under him his draft horses with arrow and javelin.

140      To save his life he abandoned his chariot, mounted a mare and fled before his army.

141      Metatti of Zikirtu, together with the kings of his environment, —I cut down their army and broke up their organization.

142      I defeated the armies of Urartu, the wicked enemy, and their allies, in the midst of Uaush Mountain he came to a stop.

143      I filled the gullies and gorges with their horses while they, like ants in distress, made their way over most difficult trails.

144      In the heat of my terrible weapons I went up after them, filling the ascents and descents with the corpses of (their) warriors.

145      Over 6 bêru ('double-hours') of ground, from Mount Uaush to Mount Zimur, the jasper mountain, I pursued him at the point of the lance.

146      The rest of the people, who had fled to save their lives, whom he had abandoned that the might of Assur, my lord, might be magnified,

147      —Adad, the violent, the powerful son of Anu, let loose his fierce tempest against them and, with bursting cloud and thunderbolt (lit., stone of heaven), totally annihilated them.

148      Ursâ, their prince, who had transgressed against Shamash and Marduk, and had not kept sacred the oath (sworn by) Assur, king of the gods,

149      became alarmed at the roar of my mighty weapons, his heart palpitating (being torn) like (that of) an owl (or, bat; lit., bird of the cave), fleeing before an eagle.

150      Like a man whose blood is pouring from him, he left Turushpâ, his royal city; like (an animal) fleeing before the hunter, he trod the slope of his mountain;

151      like a woman in travail he lay stretched on his bed, his mouth refusing food and drink (water); a fatal injury (lit., disease without escape) he inflicted upon himself.

152      I established the might of Assur, my lord, upon Urartu for all time to come, leaving there for future days his never-to-be-forgotten fear.

153      The surpassing power of my might and the fury (lit., onset) of my all-powerful weapons, which are without rival in the four regions (of the earth) and cannot be turned back,

154      I let loose (lit., made bitter) against Urartu in a bitter fight. The people of Zikirtu and Andia I bespattered with the venom of death.

155      I barred the wicked feet of the enemy from the land of the Manneans and made glad the heart of Ullusunu, their lord. I let a light shine forth for his luckless (distressed) people.

156      I, Sargon, guardian of justice, who do not transgress against Assur and Shamash, the humble and unceasing Worshiper of Nabil and Marduk,

157      —through their unalterable decree (lit., established consent) I attained unto my heart's desire; I stood victorious over haughty foes.

158      Over all of his mountains, every one of them, I spread (lit, poured out) terror; wailing and lamentation I laid on the enemy peoples.

159      With joyful heart and jubilation, accompanied by players (on) the harp and tambourine, I entered my camp.

160      To Nergal, Adad and Ishtar, the lords of battle, to the gods who inhabit heaven and earth and to the gods who dwell in Assyria,

161      I offered enormous (numbers) of pure sacrificial animals, I came before them with prostrations and prayers, I extolled their divinity.

162      I stopped my march on Andia and Zikirtu which lay before me, and set my face toward Urartu.

(Thureau-Dangin/Lehmann-Haupt/Zimansky) (Levine)

163      Uishdish, a district of the Mannean country, which Ursâ had seized and taken for his own,

164      with its many cities, which are countless as the stars of heaven, I captured in its entirety.

165      Their powerful walls (fortifications) I smashed like pots, down to their lowest foundations, and I leveled them to the ground (lit., counted them as ground).

166      I broke into their countless orchards and let my army devour great quantities of food.

167      From Uishdish I departed, (and) I drew near to the city of Ushkaia, the great fortress on the outer frontier (lit., head of boundary) of Urartu,

168      which bars the pass into the Zaranda district like a door, keeping back my messengers,

169      and stands out on Mount Mallau, the cypress mountain, like a boundary-(pillar), and (rising), robed in radiance, over the plain of the land of Sûbi.

170      The people who live in that district are without equal in all of Urartu in their knowledge of riding-horses.

171      For years they had been catching the young colts of (wild) horses, native to his wide land, and raising them for his royal army.

172      But they are not caught as far over as Sûbi, a district which the people of Urartu call Mannean country, nor are their herds seen there.

173      They do not saddle them (lit., open a saddle over them), but (whether) going forward, turning to one side, or turning around, (as the tactics) of battle require, they are (never) seen to break the yoke (i.e., to become separated from their team).

174      These men, who belong to that fortress and district, saw the defeat of Ursâ, their lord, and their legs gave way like the root (of a tree planted) on the river bank.

175      Their leaders, seasoned warriors (lit, skilled in battle), who fled before my weapons, covered with the venom of death, drew near to them, and,

176      telling them to submit to Assur, my lord, who had not allowed one out of all their warriors to make his escape, they became as dead (men).

177      The city of Ushkaia, the mainstay of his land, together with the cities round about, they turned into ruins; they abandoned their possessions and took the road that has no turning.

178      With the advance of my mighty arms, I went up into that fortress, carried off its overflowing wealth, and brought it into my camp.

179      Its great wall, whose foundation platform was founded on the bed rock of the mountain, whose thickness measured 8 cubits,

180      —I began with its upper wall, I went down to its high foundation walls, I destroyed it completely, I brought it to the ground.

181      The dwellings within it I set on fire, and left their large timbers in flames.

182      115 cities of its neighborhood I burned like brush(?) and covered the face of heaven with their smoke, like a cyclone.

183      As if destroyed by a flood, I made its fields, like heaps I made (lit., poured out) their settlements.

184      The city of Aniashtania, the home of his herds, situated on the border of Sangibute, between the cities of Ushkaia and Tarmakisa,

185      together with 17 cities of its neighborhood, I destroyed, I leveled to the ground; the large timbers of their roofs I set on fire,

186      their crops (and) their stubble I burned, their filled-up granaries I opened and let my army devour the unmeasured grain.

187      Like swarming locusts I turned the beasts of my camps into its meadows, and they tore up the vegetation on which it (the city) depended, they devastated its plain.

188      From Ushkaia I departed, to the land of Baru, on which it depends for its beasts, which they also called Sangibutu, I drew near.

189      Tarui and Tarmakisa, strong, walled cities, situated in the plain of the land of the Dalaia, where he had great supplies of grain,

190      whose walls were very strong, whose outer walls were well built, whose moats were very deep and completely surrounded them;

191      in the midst of which are stabled the horses, reserved for his royal army, which they fatten each year;

192      —the people who live in that district saw the deeds of my royal (valor) which I accomplished against the cities of their neighbors, and were terrified.

193      They left their cities and fled into an arid region, a place of thirst, like the desert, and (so) sought to save their lives.

194      That district I overpowered as with a net. Between their large cities I let the battle rage.

195      Their 'mighty fortifications, —I began with their upper walls, and went down to' their foundation platforms, destroying them and making them like the (level) ground.

196      The houses in them 'I set on fire, and left their large timbers' in flames.

197      Their bounteous crops I burned up, [their filled-up granaries I opened] and let my army devour the unmeasured grain.

198      30 cities of their neighborhood [I burned like brush(?) and made their smoke cover the face] of heaven like a cyclone.

199      From Tarmakisa I departed (to ....) I drew near.

200      The city of Ulhu, a stronghold at the [foot of Mount Kishpal]...

201      and their people like fish... they did not drink, they did not satisfy their hunger...

202      Ursâ, their king and counselor, following [his heart's] desire... [showed (them) where the waters gushed forth].

203      A ditch, carrying these flowing waters, he dug and... brought plenty, like the Euphrates.

204      He made numberless channels lead off from its bed... and irrigated the orchard.

205      Its waste land, which from days of old ... and made fruit and grapes as abundant as the rain.

206      Plane trees, exceedingly high(?), of the riches of his palace... like a forest, he made them cast their shadows over its plain,

207      and in his uncultivated fields... like god, he made its people raise their glad songs.

208      300 homers of seed land, planted(?) in grain, he in (by)... the crop gave increased return of grain at the gathering.

209      The ground of his uncultivated areas he made like a meadow, flooding it abundantly in springtime, (and) grass and pasturage did not fail (cease), winter and summer; into stamping grounds (corrals) for horses and herds he turned it.

210      The [camels in(?)] all of his submerged country he trained(?) and they pumped (lit., poured) (the water into) ditches.

211      A palace, a royal dwelling, he built by the side of the river, for his enjoyment. With cypress beams he roofed it, and (thus) made the odor thereof pleasant.

212      The city of Shardurihurda, a fortress, he . . . . in Mount Kishte for his defense. The protector(s)(?) of his land he settled therein.

213      The people of that province heard of the evil which I had inflicted upon Ursâ; they cried, woe! and struck their thighs(?).

214      Ulhu, their stronghold, as well as Shardurihurda, the fortress, they left hurriedly and fled by night to the steep flanks of the mountain.

215      In the anger of my heart I ravaged the whole extent of the province like a storm. On front and flank I harassed it frightfully.

216      Into Ulhu, the store city (lit., city of properties) of Ursâ I entered triumphantly; to the palace, his royal abode, I marched victoriously.

217      The mighty wall, which was made of stone from the lofty mountain, with iron axes and iron hoes I smashed like a pot and leveled it to the ground.

218      Great cypress beams (from) the roof of his substantial palace, I tore out and carried to Assyria.

219      Its filled-up granaries I opened and let my army devour its abundant grain, in measureless quantities.

220      Its guarded(?) wine cellars I entered, and the widespreading hosts of Assur drew the good wine from (the skin) bottles like river water.

221      The canal which protects it, —its flow(?) I blocked (dammed) and the waters... I turned into a morass.

222      The - - - I and the ... of his ... I exposed to the sun(light).

223      Into his pleasant gardens, which adorned his city (lit., the adornments of his city) (and) which were overflowing with fruit and wine, like the immeasurable(?) downpour of heaven,

224      my fierce warriors rushed, and like Adad (the storm-god), they made the noise of iron axes to resound

225      (and) great quantities of his fruit, which could not be measured, came tumbling down. No quaking heart escaped from (that) fight, (their) eternal desire (they realized).

226      His great trees, the adornment of his palace, I cut down like millet(?), and I destroyed the city of his glory, and his province I brought to shame.

227      The trunks of all those trees which I had cut down I gathered together, heaped them in a pile and burned them with fire.

228      Their abundant crops, which (in) garden and marsh(?) were immeasurable, I tore up by the root and did not leave an ear (by which) to remember the destruction.

229      His pleasant fields, which were spread out (lit., lay) like a platter painted lapis lazuli (blue), —the surrounding plain planted to grass and habburu,

230      with the chariots and horses of my destructive(?) advance, like Adad I overwhelmed and made the meadows, the support of his horses, like plowland.

231      Shardurihurda, their great stronghold, together with 57 cities of the neighborhood of the Sangibutu district,

232      I destroyed them totally, leveled them to the ground (lit., counted as ground). The beams of their roofs I set on fire and burned them up (lit, made like flame).

233      From Ullhu I departed, against every (last) important stronghold of the province of Sangibutu I drew near.

234      (This) province was the home of his temple, on which the kings of former (days) who lived (lit., went) before him, had lavished (their wealth) from early days, to extend (the power of) their land.

235      The cities of Hurnuku, Hardania, Gizuarzu, Shashzissa, Upper Hundurna,...

236      Uadnaunza, Arazu, Shadishsinia, Lower Hundurna,

237      El—...—nak, Sittuarzu, Zirma, Surzî, Eliadinia,

238      Dag—... Surzialdiu, Armuna, Kinashtania,

239      21 strong cities... like (wild) grapevines, growing on the mountain-(side), they stood out on the peaks of Mount Arzabia,

240      mighty fortifications... 120 tipku (was the height) of the (brick) walls surrounding their sides,

241      for [their] soldiers to stand on... were equipped(?), for battle they were made terrible (lit., clothed in terror).

242      Deep moats for the protection... at the entrances to their gates towers were constructed.

243      Streams carrying floods of water... there was no end (of them) in their plains.

244      Their people in plenty and abundance of every kind, lavish (? quantities) were spread about.

245      Great palaces, patterns of... were spread out, insignia of royalty.

246      Cypress beams, whose odor is pleasant,... of those who entered, like cedar (hashurru) it went to the heart.

247      The people of the Sangibutu province, the inhabitants of the province and the inhabitants of all of those cities,

248      [saw] the approach of my expedition, which at a distance of a bêru ('double-hour') ... [how,] over all of Urartu, to its farthest border, confusion was spread.

249      To... the 'lookouts' of their district, towers (pillars) were constructed on the summits of the mountains and set up to...

250      the fire of brushwood by which they saw the approach (lit., feet) of the enemy from a great distance, morning and night, and made it known [to]...

251      Before the fierce onslaught of my attack, which they could not meet, they became frightened, and terror overcame them (was poured over them) and they became [as dead men].

252      They did not lift their eyes (lit., face) to their many possessions, (but) left their mighty fortresses and trod the [slope of their mountain].

253      As with a dense cloud of the night, I covered that province, and all of its great cities. I... like an attack of a swarm of locusts.

254      Between Arzabia and Irtia, high mountains, I made a march over 12 bêru of ground and pitched [my camp].

255      My brave warriors cast themselves on the (mountain)-sides, the refuge(?) of their hearts, like stray sheep and [would not] give attention to their orders.

256      With the widespreading armies of Assyria I overwhelmed (lit., covered) all of their cities, like locusts, and my plundering (army)...

257      Property, goods, the treasure... they brought out and their heaped-up stores(?)...

258      The laborers, sappers, and [bearers]... I had mount their walls, with axe... and I tore down

259      the pine beams of the roof of the palaces, and peoples of the lands of the [Manneans and Nairî]...

260      Their high citadels, which were firmly founded, like the mountain, down to their foundation platform, I... like sand.

261      I set on fire their beautiful residences, and made the smoke thereof rise and cover the face of heaven like a storm.

262      The great heaps of barley and wheat which during many days they had heaped up (in their) granaries for the support of land and people,

263      I had my whole army load on horses, mules, camels and asses, and heap up in the midst of my encampment like mounds.

264      Food in plenty and to satiety, I let my people eat. Ample provision of supplies for the return march to Assyria they made in gladness.

265      I cut down its splendid orchards, I cut down great quantities of its vines, I made an end of its drinking.

266      The great forests, which were as dense as great reed (marshes), —their trees I cut down, and laid waste its plain.

267      All of its cut-down tree trunks I gathered like the debris of a hurricane and set them on fire.

268      146 cities of their neighborhood I set aflame like brush and made their smoke cover the face of heaven like a hurricane.

269      From the strong cities of the land of Sangibutu I departed, to the district of Armarilî I drew near.

(Zimansky)  (Levine)

270      Bubuzi, the fortress, Hundur, which is surrounded by two walls, in front of (each) tower, tubalu's were constructed in the moat(?)—,

271      Alê, Sinishpalâ, Siniunak, Arna, Sharni,

272      7 strong cities, together with 30 cities of their neighborhood, which lie at the foot of Mount Ubianda,

273      I destroyed totally, and leveled to the ground. The beams of their roofs I set on fire and made like flame.

274      Their overflowing (heaped-up) granaries I opened and let my army devour great quantities of their unmeasured barley.

275      The harvest, the support of its people, and the chaff (stubble?), the 'life' of its cattle, I burned like brush, and made its plain a barren waste.

276      Their orchards I cut down and their forests I felled. All of their tree trunks I gathered into heaps and set on fire.

277      On my march I came to Arbu, the city of the father's house of Ursâ, and Riar, the city of Ishtar-dûri.

278      7 cities of their neighborhood in which dwell his brothers, his royal seed, (with) strong defenses,

279      —those cities I destroyed, I leveled to the ground. The temple of Haldia, his god, I set on fire like brush and destroyed his shrine (sanctuary).

280      From Armarialî I departed. Mount Uizuku, the pine mountain, whose core is breccia, I crossed; to the land of Aiadi I drew near.

281      Anzalia, Kuaiain, Kallania, Bitâ, Aluarza, Kiuna, Allî,

282      Arzugu, Shikkanu, Ardiunak, Daiazuna, Gêta, Bâniu,

283      Birhiluza, Dêzizu, Dilizia, Abaindi, Duain, Hasrana,

284      Parra, Aiasun, Aniashtania, Balduarza, Sharuardî,

285      Shumattar, Shalzî, Albûri, Sikarra, the old Uaiais,

286      —30 of its strong cities, which line the shore of the terrible sea, at the foot of great mountains, and all stand out like boundary stones:

287      Argishtiuna, Kallania, its strong fortresses, erected among them,

288      shining above Mount Arsidu and Mount Mahunnia, like stars, —their foundation walls were visible to a height of 240 cubits;

289      his warriors, his picked troops, powerful in battle, bearing shield and lance, the defense of his land, were stationed therein;

290      they saw the overthrow of Armarialî, their neighboring province, and their legs trembled.

291      They abandoned their cities with their possessions and fled like birds into the midst of those fortresses,

292      I sent up large numbers of troops against their cities and they carried off large quantities of their property, their goods.

293      Their strong walls, together with 87 cities of their neighborhood, I destroyed, I leveled to the ground.

294      I set fire to the houses within them, and made the beams of their roofs like flame.

295      Their heaped-up granaries I opened and let my army devour unmeasured quantities of barley.

296      Their orchards I cut down, their forests I felled; all their tree trunks I gathered together and set them on fire.

297      From the land of Aiadi I departed, the rivers Alluria, Kallania and Innai I crossed.

298      To the district of Uaiais, his mainstay, on the lower border of Urartu and on the Nairî-frontier, I drew near.

299      Uaiais, his stronghold, his great fortress, which was stronger than any other (lit., all) of his fortresses and whose workmanship was exceedingly skilfully carried out,

(Thureau-Dangin) (Lehmann-Haupt) (Zimansky) (Levine)

300      —his powerful fighters, the spies who brought in the news of the lands round about, were settled therein;

301      the district-governors, together with their retinues he brought up into it and kept (his) fighters safe behind its mighty wall.

302      I took that fortress from the rear, its warriors I slaughtered in front of its gate like lambs.

303      Its orchards I cut down, its forests I felled, all of its severed tree trunks I gathered together and set them on fire.

304      Barzuriani, Ualtukuia, Kutta, Kippa, Asapâ,

305      5 mighty walled cities, together with 40 cities of their neighborhood, I set on fire.

306      From Uaiais I departed, to the district of Ianzû, king of the Nairî-land, I drew near.

307      Ianzû, king of Nairî, came to meet me from Hubushkia, his royal city, a distance of 4 bêru, and kissed my feet.

308      His tribute, —horses broken to the yoke, cattle and sheep, I received from him in Hubushkia, his city.

309      On my return journey, Urzana of Musa_ir, doer of wrong and crimes, breaker of the oath of the gods, who did not submit to my lordship,

310      the dangerous mountain man who sinned against the loyalty oath of Ashur, Shamash, Nabu, and Marduk and revolted against me,

311      he interrupted the advance of my return journey and my expedition by (withholding) his ample gifts; he did not kiss my feet.

312      He withheld tribute, gifts and his presents and not once did he send his messenger in order to ask about my health.

313      In the anger of my heart, I caused all of my chariots, my abundant cavalry and my whole camp to take the road to Assyria.

314      In his great trust in Ashur, father of the gods, lord of the land, king of all of heaven and the underworld, begetter, lord of lords,

315      to whom from distant days Marduk, the Enlil of the gods, gave the gods of the land and the mountains of the four quarters, so that not one should avoid making him great,

316      with their treasuries heaped up in order to make delivery to Ehursaggalkurkurra;

317      at the exalted command of Nabu and Marduk who set in motion the position of the stars signifying a good omen for the taking up of my weapons,

318      and favorable signs which mean the gaining of power, Sin, lord of the crown, remained eclipsed for more than one watch, (a portent) for the Guti to be wiped out.

319      At the valuable consent of the hero, Shamash, who caused the entrails to be inscribed with favorable omens, which means going at my side,

320      with one chariot alone at my feet, and one thousand of my furious horsemen, soldiers, bowmen, shield-bearers and spearmen,

321      my fierce heroes, trained for the heroism of battle, I took the road to Musasir, a difficult road.

(Thureau-Dangin) (Lehmann-Haupt/Zimansky) (Levine)

322      I caused my army to go up the mountain, Arsiu, a strong mountain whose gradient like the rungs of a ladder has no ascent.

323      The Upper Zab, which the people of Nairî and Kirhi called the Elamunia, I crossed,

324      among Sheiak, Ardikshi, Ulaiau and Alluriu, high mountains,

325      lofty ridges, steep mountain peaks(?) which defy description, through which there is no trail for the passage of foot soldiers,

326      among which mighty waterfalls tear their way, the noise of whose fall resounds for a berû, like Adad (the thundergod),

327      which are covered, (thick) as reeds, with all kinds of trees, —the choicest fruit trees, and vines, and are full of terrors for (the one) attacking their passes;

328      where no king had ever passed, whose trail no prince who went before me had ever seen;

329      their great wild tree trunks I tore down and cut through their steep peaks(?) with bronze axes.

330      A narrow road, a strait passage, where the foot soldiers passed sideways, I prepared ('made good') for the passage of my army between them.

331      My (battle-)chariot came up with ropes, while I, with (several) mounts of horses, took the lead of my army.

332      My warriors and (their) horses, who go at my side, narrowed down to single file and made their wearisome way.

333      That he should not escape I sent word to my officials, the governors and their retinues. In haste I dispatched it...

334      they(?)strengthened...

335      I pursued(?) and...

336      his royal abode, the abode of Haldia, his god... Urartu to its farthest border.

337      What was for him(?) in heaven or on earth, no one knew...

338      who before him had not borne scepter and crown, the insignia(?)

339      ... prince, shepherd, the people of Urartu bring him (or to him), and one among his sons, as(?) heir (lit., seizer) of his throne,

340      together with(?) gold and silver, all kinds of precious treasure from his palace they brought in before the god Haldia, in the city of Musasir, and presented (as) his gifts.

341      Heavy cattle, fat sheep, without number, they sacrificed before him. For the whole of his city they spread a banquet.

342      Before Haldia, his god, they crowned him with the royal crown and gave him the kingly scepter of Urartu. Then his people... him...

343      Over that city I made the loud noise of my army resound like Adad, and the inhabitants...

(Thureau-Dangin) (Lehmann-Haupt/Zimansky/Levine)

344      his people, the old men and old women, went up on the roofs of their houses and wept bitterly.

345      To save themselves they crawled on all fours (before me), [wringing] their hands.

346      Because Urzana, the king, their prince, did not fear the command of Ashur, threw off the yoke of my lordship and forgot to serve me,

347      I planned to carry off the people of that city and I ordered that the god, Haldi, the protector of Urartu, be brought out.

348      Triumphantly, I caused him to take his seat by his city gate; his sons, his daughters, his people, seeds of his father's house, I plundered.

349      With 6,110 people, 12 mules, 380 donkeys, 525 cattle, 1,235 sheep I counted (them) and I made them enter inside the wall of my camp.

350      I entered triumphantly into Musa_ir, the dwelling of Haldi, as a lord I dwelled in the palace, the abode of Urzana.

351      The storerooms, piled up with abundant riches, I opened the sealings of their treasure.

352      [34 talents, 18] minas, of gold, 167 talents, 2 1/2 minas of silver, white bronze, lead, carnelian, lapis lazuli, UD-ASH-stone, precious stones in great quantities,

353      staves of ivory, maple, and boxwood, together with their knobs(?) whose inlay was of gold and silver,

354      large... of ivory, maple and boxwood, royal insignia, whose inlay was of gold and silver,

355      8 great mahrisi and baskets for vegetables, of ivory, maple and boxwood, whose inlay was of gold and silver,

356      6 vases, ganganni, GAB-KAL, chairs, drinking-cups of ivory, maple and boxwood, whose inlay was of gold and silver,

357      6 golden daggers, golden --, golden poniards, flyflaps of gold, an alabaster pursit, set with stones of (and?) gold,

358      11 cups of silver belonging to Ursâ, together with their covers, cups of the land of Tabalu, with ears of gold, silver gurpisi, a silver javelin, incrusted with gold,

359      34 silver cups, dice, heavy, light, and small, lutti and susani of gold,

360      54 cups incrusted with silver, siprate, crescents and rings of silver,

361      5 azanat of silver, kabuate, mukarrisi, nabli, censers of the land of Tabalu, and silver incense-pans,

362      13 bronze basins, taphani, of bronze, wash-basins of bronze, asalldte of bronze, pots of bronze, pans of bronze,

363      24 bronze vases, bronze basins, hurupâte of bronze, kurkuri of bronze, kidli of bronze, nasri of bronze, lamps(?) of bronze,

364      120 great and small bronze objects (udî), of the workmanship of the land, whose names are not easy to write.

365      X iron ovens, nisibi of iron, nasri of iron, aruthi of iron,lamps(?) of iron,

366      130 brightly colored (woolen) garments, purple linen garments, and wool for the scarlet garments of Urartu and Kirhi,

367      together with the property of his palace, I carried off. I heaped up his goods. My officials and officers I sent to the temple of Haldia

368      and Haldia, his god, and Bagbartu, his goddess, together with the great wealth of his temple, all there was,

369      —X+4 talents, 3 minas of gold, 162 talents, 20 minas, less 6/36, of silver, 3,600 talents of rough copper,

370      6 shields of gold which hung right and left in his house and shone brilliantly,

371      with the heads of snarling dogs projecting from their centers (lit., hearts), and containing 5 talents and 12 minas of shining red (gold);

372      1... horns,... the ashtarti of its doors, which had been cast from 2 talents of fine gold;

373      1 bolt of gold, a human finger (in form), the fastening of the door-leaf,—on top of it crouched a winged (lit., flying) dragon,

374      1 peg of gold to secure the lock, to strengthen(?) the barring of the temple, to guard the heaped-up treasures and property,

375      2 keys of gold (shaped like) protecting goddesses wearing the tiara, and bearing mace(?) and ring, their feet planted upon snarling dogs,

376      the four of them (constituting) the lock of the door; ornaments of the shrine, which weighed 2 talents and 12 minas of gold, and secured (lit., held) the door-leaves;

377      1 great dagger of gold, the sword of his hand, which weighed 26 3/36 minas of gold;

378      96 lances of silver, gurpisi of silver, bows of silver, spears of silver, whose setting and inlay were of gold,

379      12 great shields of silver, whose edges (molding) were ornamented with heads of dragons, lions and wild-oxen;

380      67 basins of silver, vases of silver, silver ovens, silver vegetable baskets, whose inlay and setting was of gold,

381      62 silver musarirte, silver lukilte, miscellaneous (lit., not distinguishable) objects of silver, whose setting and inlay was of gold;

382      33 chariots of silver, silver bows, silver quivers, silver maces(?), silver manziate(?), silver shields, silver siprat, purdi and standards of silver,

383      393 pans of silver, heavy and light, of Assyrian, Urartian and Kirhian workmanship,

384      2 horns of the great wild-ox (aurochs), whose inlay and nikkasu (were of gold?) and with(?) bands of gold completely surrounding their inlay;

385      1 seal ring of gold (used) for validating (lit., completing) the decrees of Bagbartu, the spouse of Haldia, was completely covered (full) with precious stones;

386      9 vestments, the garments of his divine majesty, whose embroidery (edges) was of gold, and whose iar was of gold, whose shiblu were held by murdû;

387      7 shusuda of nigsud-wood, which were full of (covered with) stars, with a whip of silver, whose kiblu and inlay were of gold;

388      1 ivory couch, a bed of silver, for the repose of his divine majesty, covered with jewels and gold;

389      139 ivory staves, ivory tables, ivory vegetable baskets, ivory daggers, poniards of ivory and maple(?)-wood, whose inlay was of gold;

390      10 boxwood tables, mahrisi of boxwood, house chairs(?) of maple and boxwood, whose inlay was of gold and silver;

391      2 altars, 14 precious(?) stones; the ornaments of (their) divine majesties, the jewels of Haldia and Bagbartu, his spouse;

392      25,212 bronze shields, great and small, siprat of bronze, gurpisi of bronze, and gulgullat of bronze;

393      1,514 lances of bronze, great and small, large lance blades of bronze, purdi of bronze, kutahi of bronze together with their bronze bases;

394      305,412 daggers of bronze, heavy and light, bows of bronze, azanate of bronze, and spears of bronze;

395      607 basins of bronze, heavy and light, washbasins of bronze, asallâte of bronze, jars of bronze, pans of bronze;

396      3 large basins of bronze which held inside them 50 measures of water, together with their great covers of bronze;

397      1 great vat of bronze, which held inside it 80 measures of water, together with its large cover of bronze,

398      —belonging to the kings of Urartu, (used) for offering sacrifices before Haldia, (and) which were full of sacrificial wine;

399      4 statues of bronze, the colossi which guard his gates, whose four bases, as well as their shrines, were of cast bronze;

400      1 statue of supplication, representing the royal highness of Ishtar-duri, son of Ishpueni, king of Urartu, whose shrine was cast of copper;

401      1 bull, 1 cow, together with its calf, on which Ishtar-duri, son of Ishpueni, turned and poured out for the bronze of the temple of Haldia;

402      1 statue of Argishti, king of Urartu, who wore the diadem of a god, and whose right hand was held in the attitude of blessing, together with its shrine, weighing 60 talents of bronze;

403      1 statue of Ursâ, with 2 of his horsemen, (and) his charioteer, with their shrine, cast in bronze,

404      —on which was engraved his own haughty (inscription), 'With my two horses and one charioteer, my hand attained to the kingdom of Urartu';

405      (these things) together with his great wealth, which was without calculation, I carried off.

406      This does not include the objects of gold, silver, lead, copper, iron, ivory, maple, boxwood, and all (other) kinds of wood,

407      which the people of Assur and Marduk had carried off from city, palace and temple in countless quantities.

408      The property of the palace of Rusa and Haldi, together with their bountiful possessions which I took up from inside Musa_ir,

409      I laid alongside the mass of my wide army and caused them to drag to Ashur.

410      I counted the people of the region of Musa_ir together with the people of Assyria, I imposed ilku-service and compulsory labor on them as upon the Assyrians.

411      Rusa heard and fell to the ground. He ripped his garments and bared his limbs.

412      His headgear was thrown to the ground, he tore out his hair and beat his breast with his fists. He threw himself on his stomach.

413      His heart stood still, his insides burned, in his mouth were painful lamentations.

414      In the whole region of Urartu, I caused mourning to be spread, I caused wailing to be established in the Nairi lands forever.

415      In the sublime strength of Ashur, my lord, in the might and strength of Bel, Nabu, the gods of my aid,

416      at the favorable oracle of Shamash, the great judge of the gods who opened my way and established the protection of my army.

417      In the greatness of Nergal, strongest of the gods, the one who goes at my side, the one who protects my camp,

418      from the region of Sumbi between the lands of Nikippa and Upa, the inaccessible mountains, I entered the land of Urartu.

419      In Urartu, Zikirtu, the lands of the Mannaeans, Nairi and Musasir

420      like a wild lion who is lordly with frightfulness, I went and I did not see an adversary to overwhelm me.

421      I defeated the many armies of Rusa, the Urartian, Metatti, the Zikirtian, on the battlefield.

422      430 cities of the 7 regions of Rusa the Urartian, all of it I subjugated and lay waste to his land.

423      From Urzana, the Musa_iran, Haldi, his god, Bakbartu, his goddess, together with the abundant property of his temples,

424      with 6,210 people, 12 mules, 380 asses, 525 cattle, 1,285 sheep, his wife, his sons, and his daughters, I carried off.

425      Through the pass of Andarutta, an inaccessible mountain opposite Hippama, I went out and returned in health to my land.

426      1 charioteer, 2 riders and 3 infantry were killed.

427      I had the best orator, Tab-shar-Ashur, the chief treasurer, bring (the tablet) into the presence of Ashur, my lord.

428      Tablet of Nabû-shallim-shunu, the chief scribe of the king, the chief of the learned, the vizier of Sargon, king of Assyria,

429      first-born of Harmakki, Assyrian scribe of the king.

430      In the eponymy of Ishtar-dûri, governor of Arrapha, [it was brought].